Hawaiian Mission Academy’s dress code…
Student’s compliance with the dress code will be determined by HMA staff and administration. However, it is the parents’ responsibility to make sure that their student has the appropriate HMA clothing and comes to school wearing that clothing each day. Parents/guardians may be called upon to pick-up their student or bring them proper school clothing if/when their student is out of compliance.
Proper school attire is the following:
- Shirts: Monday through Thursday all students must wear the HMA school uniform: aloha print collared polo shirt with the HMA logo.
- Jackets/Sweaters: Only HMA uniform fleece jackets and cardigan sweaters are allowed (see Dennis brand clothing available only from Aloha Island Uniforms)
- Bottoms: Monday through Thursday Boys may wear only Khaki colored walking shorts, cargo shorts, or pants. Girls may wear only Khaki colored walking shorts, cargo shorts, skorts, capris, or pants. HMA recommends the Dennis brand clothing for all shorts, skorts, and pants. However, parents may choose alternative vendors to purchase these items if/when they meet the HMA General Dress Code Guidelines listed below.
- On Friday’s students will be allowed to wear any HMA logo shirt, such as athletic shirts and Camp Erdman class shirts. For bottoms students will be allowed to wear jeans and differently colored shorts/skorts (other than Khaki) as long as they follow the General Dress Code Guidelines listed below.
General Dress Code Guidelines
The HMA dress code guidelines give additional guidance for clothing during all HMA events that fall outside the Monday through Thursday school hours (when Uniforms are required). Examples of these HMA events include:
- ’School Spirit’ days
- Field trips, picnics, community service, vespers and banquets
- Student association or class-sponsored events,
- Religious weekend events
- Athletic department games
- All clothing should be neat, clean, modest, in good repair, and of appropriate size and fit. Frayed cuffs violate the principle of neatness and are a sign that the pants are too long or too baggy.
- All shorts and pants must fit and ride at the natural waist, either with or without the support of a belt. There should be no exposed underwear. Sweat type pants, sport shorts, and surf shorts are not allowed. Denim jeans are allowed, but must be neat, clean and in good repair. Dyed, baggy, or frayed cuff denims will not be allowed.
- Writing on shirts that does not dishonor God is allowed (Phil. 4:8-11). Clothing with slogans or designs suggesting ideas or behaviors out of harmony with Adventist beliefs are not acceptable. This includes, but is not limited to, any promotion of alcohol, tobacco, drugs, profanity, the occult, sex, violence, skulls, and rock groups.
- Hair should be neat, clean, and well groomed. Extreme and unusual hairstyles or unnatural hair color, such as blue, pink, or green, is not permitted.
- Jewelry such as earrings (and transparent studs often left in earlobes), studs, necklaces, chains, rings, bracelets and anklets are not permitted.
- Body piercing or tattoos should not be visible.
- Underwear, including bra straps and boxers, may not show at any time, even when bending or stretching.
- Hats and caps should be removed during prayer.
Girls’ Dress Code
- Shorts, dresses and skirts (as well as slits) should be no shorter than six inches from the floor when measured at the side from a kneeling position. (For an accurate measurement, please have another person measure your skirt for you.) Shorts and pants overall fit cannot be skin tight to include leggings and/or jeggings.
- All blouses/shirts/tops may NOT be strapless. No exposed bra straps.
- All blouses/shirts/tops should be appropriate, modest, and of sufficient size for proper coverage.
- Must cover the midriff at all times, even when a student stretches or bends.
- No black lipstick, black nail polish, heavy or excessive makeup may be worn.
- For swimming or beach activities, bathing suits shall be modest.
Girls shall avoid
- Clothing that is too tight or too short (Dresses should be no shorter than mid thigh)
- Clothing that reveals cleavage and/or midriff
- Clothing with front or back lines lower than the normal bra line
- Strapless outfits
- Sheer or see-through clothing
- Sports shoes or jeans.
Boys’ Dress Code
- Any shirt worn must have sleeves, be neat and of an appropriate size and length
- For swimming activities, boys’ swimwear shall be the boxer type
- Sports shoes or jeans are not allowed
Boys shall wear
- Properly fitted dress slacks, fitting at the waist.
- Belts should be worn with slacks that have belt loops
- A nice sweater or dress shirt is required. Shirts with tails should be tucked in
Banquet Dress Policy
Attire: Clothes for all students and non-HMA guests should be neat, modest, and appropriate. Jewelry, such as bracelets, rings, earrings, necklaces, chokers, studs, and other conspicuous ornaments may not be worn and are subject to confiscation with no guarantee of return.
Note: Caps or hats, other than formal or dress hats, are not allowed. Suits and tuxedos are optional.